meet Stella Grace: Birth Story

Stella Grace Yoder. Born on August 20th at 2:58 pm. 6 pounds 7 ounces. 19.5 in.

**this is going to be a long post, and lots of details! I want this documented so I can remember every little thing. So this is a warning to stop reading if you don’t want to hear it 🙂

On Tuesday, August 20th at 5:30 am we were scheduled for an induction. I would be exactly 39 weeks. Even though it was not in my original plan…I knew going into this that things could change and that I needed to keep an open mind about our birth plan. The most important thing for Aaron and I was that we had a healthy baby at the end of all of this, no matter how we got there. I went into it thinking it was going to result in a c-section, probably so I wouldn’t be disappointed when it happened. But my doctor did emphasize that it was highly likely.

One thing positive about being induced is that you can plan things! Anyone that knows me knows that I’m a huge planner. It was nice being able to have groceries and a clean house right before we had her. It was still difficult since I was on bedrest for the last week but Aaron was a HUGE help.

Monday night, Aaron and I went out to eat at one of our favorite places, Texas Roadhouse (Aaron let me get out of bed for a change 🙂 ) We figured it would be our last meal out for awhile. Even though I knew i couldn’t eat anything after 9 that night (incase of likely c-section), I barely ate any of my food. After dinner, my mom came and got the dog. We finished some last minute packing and went to bed around 11. We got up at 3:30, I think we both slept maybe an hour. It was nice being able to shower and do my hair/makeup. I figured if I had to have a c-section, at least I would look cute :), but if I didn’t it would all be sweated off by the time she came!

Leaving the house that morning was bittersweet. We were leaving our home as a family of two for the last time, and returning as a family of 3. The car ride there was quiet, I think we both had a huge range of emotions going on! When we got there, things started pretty quickly. They got us admitted, hooked me up to start monitoring my contractions, and checked my cervix right away. I was apparently having contractions that I didn’t know about; I was 1.5 cm dilated and 80% effaced (6:30 am). My OB then stopped in to talk to us and wrote the orders to start the pitocin. The pitocin was started at 7:30 am. The normal routine for administering pitocin is to go up by 2 mU/min every 30 minutes. But with the contraction stress test, my doctor wanted to go up by 2 mU/min every 15 minutes. This terrified me because I already had heard several horror stories about how much more painful and quick contractions come with normal inductions, and mine were going to come on twice as fast.

I started to feel them right away, probably within 15 minutes. By 9:30, they were coming every four minutes. At 9:50, I felt a small gush of liquid so Aaron called the nurse in (who was amazing by the way!!). It wasn’t my water breaking, but we both (the nurse and I) assumed that it was my bloody show. Turns out I kept bleeding A LOT the rest of my labor, and it wasn’t my bloody show. We would later find out that I had a partial placenta abruption (where the placenta starts to tear away from the uterine lining), and that my placenta was getting “old” and not working like it should have been. This explains why sweet girl wasn’t growing like she should of been.

At 10:15, my contractions were 2-3 minutes apart and I was 2 cm dilated. By 11:30, they were every 1.5 minutes apart and I was at 3cm. I decided to get my epidural at 12:30. I was really hesitant since I was only 3cm, but thankfully Aaron pushed for it and really made me feel like it was ok to get it. It wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be, but they didn’t use enough lidocaine for me and I could not only feel the pressure that everyone talks about but I also felt the sharp sting of the needle going in. I’m SO GLAD that I got it when I did, because at first it only started working on my left side. I could still feel everything on the right side, and it took over an hour of laying on my side for it to start working on that side too. As soon as the epidural was in, my contractions were constant with no breaks in between.

At 2:00 I was 100% effaced and 3.5 cm dilated. As soon as I turned on my back for the nurse to check me, Stella’s heart rate started dropping. About five nurses ran into the room. They turned me back on my side and put some oxygen on me. Our nurse said she was going to call my OB, and warned us that this might be the deciding factor for a c-section. I was trying to remain as calm as possible and focus on my breathing. The doctor surprised us and said to break my water and lets go for it. So the house doctor came in at 2:15 to break it, then immediately checked me: I was at 6 cm! At 2:30 I felt a little pressure down there so the nurse checked me again and I was at 9 cm. So in 30 minutes I went from a 3.5 to a 9! The nurse left the room, and said to call if I felt any more pressure. As soon as she left, I yelled at Aaron that I felt like I was all of a sudden having to hold the baby in! He called the nurse back in, and I was 10 cm. She immediately called my doctor (her office is in the same building).

Aaron started getting gowned up and sterile. Maybe I should back up a bit…a while ago at one of my doctors visits Aaron asked her if he could put his hands on Stella as she was coming out. Dr. Laue said yes, but she would have her hands over his. Well that morning when she came in to talk with us, she told the nurses to get him sterile and that he could pretty much deliver her. The nurses were excited because they had never seen this done before. Some of them came in just to watch. Dr. Laue got down there like 5 minutes later, and we started pushing at 2:50. The first couple pushes went great, then Stella’s heart rate started dropping into the 60’s. I knew that if we didn’t get her out with the next push, we would be going for a c-section. Dr. Laue put a small suction on top of her head, and she was out with the next push. Aaron started pulling her out with the doctor telling him what to do. As her head was out, she had him stop as she pulled away the umbilical cord from around Stella’s neck. Then Aaron got to pull her out the rest of the way. She came out pink and screaming at 2:58 pm, eight minutes and 4 rounds of pushing later. Aaron held her as the doctor put the clamps on the umbilical cord, then Aaron handed Stella to her so he could cut the cord. As he was trying to cut the cord in between the two clamps, Stella grabbed a hold of one of the clamps in mid air and started swinging it around. It was pretty funny! And soon as that was done, Dr. Laue put her directly on my chest. She stopped crying and just stared up at me.

The whole process was the most amazing thing I’ve ever been through. I was obviously worried about the whole thing, but honestly I would do it over and over again to be able to hold this little girl in my arms. Aaron and I instantly fell in love with her…it really is an amazing feeling. I couldn’t believe that this little girl just came out of my belly and I already had so much love for her. Aaron did an awesome job during my labor. He never left my side and I never once got frustrated with him. I was a little skeptical that he wasn’t going to go through with delivering her, but he surprised me. He was right there watching every thing that was going on.

These past three weeks have been the best weeks of my life. I’m trying to stop and soak in every little thing. It’s hard to believe how we instantly fell in love with her, and the love I gain for her every single day. I thank God everyday for picking Aaron and I to be parents to this little girl. It’s crazy how we just naturally picked up the roles of Mom and Dad. I couldn’t imagine our life any other way now.

Since the was super long…I will do another post with pictures!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s